How to Apply for Social Security Disability Benefits in Arizona
Apply For Social Security Disability
Applying for disability benefits can be complicated and stressful. One minor mistake could mean you have to start all over again. The entire process could take years.
The highly skilled and experienced Arizona social security disability lawyers at Matt Fendon Law Group know how to effectively pursue disability benefits on behalf of our clients. We can guide you through the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) application process. We will ensure you correctly fill out the necessary paperwork and meet the strict deadlines.
The SSDI attorneys at Matt Fendon Law Group have a proven track record of handling these cases. We help people in Arizona seek the disability benefits they need and deserve. Our experienced Arizona disability attorneys are ready to review your case and answer all of your questions.
Call our firm today to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.
What You Need for Your Disability Application
When you apply for Social Security Disability benefits, you will need the following documents:
- Birth certificate
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if not born in the U.S.
- U.S. military discharge papers if you had military service prior to 1968
- W-2 forms and tax returns for last year
- An Adult Disability Report, which collects details pertaining to your injuries, illnesses, medical conditions and work history
- Medical evidence, including doctors’ reports and recent test results
- Pay stubs, award letters, settlement agreements or other proof of any Arizona workers’ compensation benefits you have received
Filing for Disability in Arizona
In Arizona, you can apply for disability online, by phone or in-person at your local field office.
- Online applications. To apply online, visit www.ssa.gov/pgm/disability.htm.
- Applications by phone. You can apply for disability benefits by phone at 800-772-1213 (7 a.m. to 7 p.m.).
- Local field office. Before you go, schedule an appointment. Here is the zip code lookup to find an office near you: https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp.
After submitting your application, the state of Arizona agency Disability Determination Services (DDS) will determine whether you are medically disabled.
How Long Does It Take To Process a Disability Claim?
After filing your initial claim, it could take over four months before you get a response. In cases of certain conditions, such as a heart attack or surgeries, the Social Security Administration (SSA) might delay the decision until further medical prognosis. Applicants usually hear back about their claim in less than a year.
Some conditions may entitle a claimant to receive benefits faster. The SSA maintains a list of diseases and conditions called Compassionate Allowances that allow a claimant to receive expedited approval.
What to Do If Your Claim Is Denied
If your Social Security disability claim is denied, you can fight the decision. The SSDI paperwork includes an appeals process. With the help of an experienced Arizona disability attorney, you have a solid chance that at receiving the benefits you need and deserve.
The majority of disability claims are denied at the initial stage. Don’t give up. Many applicants go on to collect the benefits they deserve through the appeals process.
Applications that are not well-developed run the risk of denial at any stage. Also, due to the large number of applications, reviewers will sometimes wrongfully deny an SSDI application, especially if the application has been filled out improperly or is incomplete. Applications are also denied when they lack the necessary medical evidence to prove an inability to work.
Initial-stage denials are common, but by understanding the application process – and getting help from a qualified attorney – you may still have a good chance of receiving disability benefits.
How an Arizona Disability Lawyer Can Help You
The best strategy for winning is to hire an Arizona disability attorney to assist with your claim. The disability lawyers at Matt Fendon Law Group have the experience, skills and knowledge needed to win these complex cases. Our attorneys can:
- Review your case. A disability attorney will review your case and help determine which approach is best for you. Matt Fendon Law Group will explore the best ways to build your case and tell your story.
- Collect medical evidence. Medical evidence is crucial for your disability claim. The SSA will try to get copies of your medical records from your doctors. However, Social Security personnel are not always able to access all the records they need. Since you are responsible for proving to the SSA that you are disabled, you must make sure your records can be obtained. The Arizona disability lawyers at Matt Fendon Law Group will help you gather relevant medical evidence to move your case forward.
- File appeals. If your application is not approved, you will have 180 days from the date you receive your denial letter to appeal the decision. The attorneys at Matt Fendon Law Group can help you through the appeals process. Because you have a short period of time to appeal, you need to act quickly. Having a lawyer on your side will help you meet the appeals deadline.
- Represent you at a hearing. If your case is going to a hearing, your disability lawyer will do an in-depth review of the evidence and find ways to make your claim stronger. Your attorney will know what kinds of questions the administrative law judge (ALJ) may ask at your hearing. Your lawyer will make sure you are well-prepared for the ALJ’s questions. That will increase your chances of winning your claim.
When it comes to seeking disability benefits, you need an attorney you can trust to provide you with skilled legal representation. The Arizona disability lawyers at Matt Fendon Law Group have the knowledge and experience needed to navigate your claim. We can help you reduce the chance of having your claim denied. You can count on our attorneys to put you in the best position possible to receive a favorable outcome.
Applying for SSDI benefits can be complicated and frustrating. Allow the Arizona disability attorneys at Matt Fendon Law Group to handle your disability claim from start to finish. If you are applying for SSDI benefits or appealing a denial, we are ready to help. We will provide compassionate and personalized attention to your case, and we will answer your questions and address your concerns.
Call now to schedule a free and confidential consultation.